Banana bacterial (Erwinia) wilt (214)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. On banana, and many other crops and ornamentals. A minor disease of banana.
- On mature plants before fruit ripens; leaves wilt, die, and hang around the stem. Internal smelly rot. Rhizome rots also occur after planting and, later, at the base causing plants to fall over.
- Spread when suckers trimmed, and soil bacteria splashed into 'throat' when young or into wounds.
- Cultural control: choose only healthy suckers; disinfect knives (bleach); use only well decomposed manures; remove diseased plants; improve drainage.
- Chemical control: not appropriate for this disease.
No responses yet...