Banana rust (123)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Narrow distribution. Malaysia, Philippines, Oceania. On banana and plantains. A minor fungal disease of banana.
- Dark streaks, mainly on older leaves, often with yellow halos, more common on the underside of leaves. The streaks are slightly raised and feel rough due to the spore masses of the rust.
- Serious when benomyl (now banned in most countries) used against black Sigotoka.
- Cultural control: none recommended.
- Chemical control: none recommended. Note that in commercial plantings, the rust would be controlled by fungicides used against black Sigatoka.
No responses yet...