Tomato Phytophthora root & fruit rot (157)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. On tomato, passionfruit, bele (Fiji). Note, that the oomycete (the water mould is not a fungus) causes a similar disease on capsicum, citrus, papaya, pineapple and tobacco.
- Roots and lower stems are attacked and plants wilt. Low-hanging fruit show greyish-green rots; at first, the skin stays firm; later, soft rots develop.
- Spread occurs in rain splash, surface water, and long distance in soil on machinery, tools, and shoes.
- Cultural control: avoid poor soil drainage; plant on ridges or raised beds; use mulches; remove infected fruit; use a 4-year crop rotation.
- Chemical control: copper, chlorothalonil, or mancozeb (protectants), metalaxyl (systemic). Spray when fruit third of final size.
No responses yet...