Vanilla viruses (159)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Narrow distribution. Pacific Islands. There are several viruses - Watermelon mosaic virus (vanilla necrosis strain) and Vanilla mosaic virus.
- WMV-VNV and VaMV cause severe diseases, with WMV-VNV the more important.
- Yellow patches and streaks; later, black scab-like spots with long black streaks on the stems, and rapid dieback and death within 3-12 months.
- Spread by aphids, in cuttings and on pruning tools.
- Cultural control: wash hands often when pruning; remove diseased plants as soon as symptoms are seen; cuttings only from healthy plants; weed; disease-free tissue cultures (SPC CePaCT).
- Chemical control: none recommended.
No responses yet...