Banana black cross (071)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Restricted distribution. Asia, Africa, Oceania. On banana and plantains. Usually, a minor disease,
- Spots, scattered, sometimes in groups, black, like a 4-pointed star, up to 60 mm, with long axis parallel to the veins. Velvet-like mass of spores on underside.
- Spores spread in rain and wind. Worse under shade, or if infections become sites for Cordana spots.
- Cultural control: reduce shade or plant in open areas; resistant varieties (e.g., Cavendish, and some FHIA varieties).
- Chemical control: unlikely to be needed.
No responses yet...