Banana skipper (181)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Narrow distribution. South and Southeast Asia, Oceania. On banana, and Musa species, bamboo, coconut and other palms.
- Eggs on underside of the leaves; caterpillars pale green with shiny black heads; adults up to 8 cm, brown with three yellow dots on forewings.
- Damage to 60% leaf area recorded, and if it occurs at fruiting, bunch yields likely to be lower.
- Natural enemies: wasp parasitoid.
- Cultural control: handpick.
- Chemical control: PDPs - chillies, neem, pyrethrum, derris (plus soap); or, if grown for sale, spinosad, or Bt, on young caterpillars, to preserve the natural enemies.
No responses yet...