Banana tip rot (125)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. On banana and plantains.
- Round to oval sunken spots with pink spore masses on fingers, and black rots at cut ends of hands. An important disease in storage.
- A common fungus on trash. Spores spread in wind and rain or insects; green fruit infected 20-40 days after emergence. Rots occur when fruit ripens.
- Cultural control: bag bunches after removing male bud; remove old hanging leaves and flower remains; do not bruise bunches; keep packing sheds clean.
- Chemical control: commercial growers - registered chemicals, e.g., benzimidazoles or triazoles.
No responses yet...