Bean (Vigna) rust (234)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. On Vigna species, crops (cowpea, long bean) and weeds. Another species infects Phaseolus. Rust comes late, and the impact is relatively small.
- Reddish-brown, circular pustules with yellow halos on leaves and pods, producing powdery spores.
- Spread by spores blown in the wind.
- Cultural control: plant beans with maize, at random, not in rows; use a 2-year crop rotation; do not plant overlapping crops; resistant varieties; collect and burn trash after harvest.
- Chemical control: use mancozeb, starting when the spots are first seen.
No responses yet...