Bean Cercospora leaf spot (301)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. Common on food legumes, e.g., French bean, long bean, cowpea, mung bean. Minor fungal disease on older leaves.
- Small brown flecks, expanding to brown, round, to slightly angular spots with grey centres, up to 1 cm diameter. Brown margins, sometimes with yellow halos. Spots occur on pods.
- Spores are spread in wind and rain. Survival is on seed, crop debris, and weeds.
- Cultural control: wide spacing (air movement); avoid overlapping crops; remove infected leaves; avoid overhead irrigation; weed; collect debris and destroy; crop rotation (maize, sorghum, root crops); tolerant varieties.
- Chemical control: treat seed: thiram, captan or mancozeb; sprays of copper, mancozeb if needed.
No responses yet...