Coconut tinangaja (198)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Narrow distribution. Guam. On coconuts. An important disease. Thought to be caused by a viroid related to Coconut cadang-cadang viroid.
- Yellow spots on leaves, small seednuts, production slows, trunks taper, palm dies, taking up to 15 years.
- Impact high: import of coconuts for food and drink are high; lack of coconuts for landscaping schemes; loss of diversity.
- Spread maybe pollen, seednuts, or on tools.
- Biosecurity: follow the international guidelines for coconut (FAO).
- Cultural control: only take seed from areas free of the disease; treat tools with 10% bleach and 1% mineral oil; remove and burn infected trees; the variety Javanica Red Dwarf may have tolerance.
- Chemical control: none recommended.
No responses yet...