Cucumber gummy stem blight (201)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. On watermelon and other cucurbits. An important disease causing a leaf blight.
- Spots on leaves grow rapidly, leaves blacken shrivel and die. Spots on vine leak a gummy (sticky) liquid.
- Spores from black sacs in the spots spread in wind and rain. For cucumber (see Fact Sheet no. 201).
- Cultural control: nursery far from production area; sterilise soil; check seedlings before planting; do not plant new crops next to old; 3-year crop rotations; collect and burn trash after harvest.
- Chemical control: copper, mancozeb, or chlorothalonil every 7-10 days.
No responses yet...