Hibiscus mite (266)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Distribution not well known. Caribbean, Brazil, Oceania. On ornamental Hibiscus and okra. A major pest affecting appearance.
- Mites live in the buds where feeding stimulates bumpy light green galls on leaves, petioles and young stems. Gall surface has felt-like hairs.
- Spread in wind, on cuttings, birds and insects.
- Natural enemies: predatory mites.
- Cultural control: healthy cuttings; prune mite-affected parts; tolerant varieties.
- Chemical control: PDPs: garlic or derris; or sulphur, white oil, or abamectin. Note predatory mites will be killed by application of pesticides.
No responses yet...