Maize mosaic (074)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. In tropics and sub-tropics. On maize, sweet corn and itch grass (Rottboellia). A minor virus disease.
- Light green to yellow stripes along the leaves, singly or in bands, 1-2 cm wide. Plants stunted.
- Spread is by planthoppers, that live and breed in the 'funnel' of the leaves.
- Impact usually low with only 1-2 % plants affected.
- Cultural control: resistant varieties; removal of infected plants.
- Chemical control: infection is usually low so insecticides would be uneconomic.
No responses yet...