Papaya black spot (158)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. On papaya. Usually, a minor disease.
- Spots, round to irregular, 3-6 mm on older leaves, pale brown above with yellow margin; dark below as spores form. Dark spots on fruit, slightly sunken.
- Heavy spotting causes leaves and young fruit to fall, reducing yields and sales of fruits.
- Cultural control: remove infected leaves, and burn.
- Chemical control: use (i) copper, chlorothalonil or mancozeb (protectants), or (ii) tubuconazole (systemic), ensuring coverage of underside of the leaves. Alternate the two types of fungicides.
No responses yet...