Sugarcane pink borer (278)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Narrow distribution. Indonesia and Papua New Guinea. On sugarcane and relatives, and grasses. A major pest.
- Eggs laid on young cane. Larvae bore together into the stalk killing the shoot, then migrate, boring into other stems.
- Damage attracts weevil borer (see Fact Sheet no. 241). Stems break in winds.
- Spread by flight and in cane.
- Natural enemies: wasp parasitoids.
- Cultural control: plant March-May; borer-free setts; resistant varieties; avoid excessive N; rogue plants with dead shoots; avoid burning, leave as mulch.
- Chemical control: synthetic pyrethroids, based on pheromone monitoring; also used to treat setts.
No responses yet...