Sweetpotato scab (013)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. On sweetpotato. A common, and sometimes serious fungal disease.
- Worse in wet weather.
- Young leaves infected early, especially along veins causing them to distort as they expand.
- Spread is by water splash, wind-driven rain, and on planting material.
- Cultural control: tolerant varieties, which exist in most countries. If susceptible varieties are needed, grow cuttings from sweetpotato storage roots, in a nursery far from production areas.
- Chemical control: mancozeb when symptoms first occur, but likely to be uneconomic.
No responses yet...