Sweetpotato whitefly (284)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. In tropics and sub-tropics. Several strains. On many crops, ornamentals and weeds.
- Eggs laid on underside of leaves produce 'crawlers' and scale-like larvae, then yellow and white adults.
- Adults suck sap, fungi grow on honeydew excreta blackening leaves, and spread important viruses.
- Natural control: predators and parasitoid wasps.
- Cultural control: reflective mulches; trap crops; check seedlings for infestations; avoid overlapping crops; weed; monitor; collect and burn trash after harvest.
- Chemical control: soap, white or horticultural oils; alternatively, PDPs: chilli, neem, or derris. Avoid synthetic insecticides because of development of resistant strains.
No responses yet...