Zucchini yellow mosaic (202)
Pacific Pests, Pathogens and Weeds
- Worldwide distribution. On zucchini and other cucurbits, including melon, pumpkin, watermelon, as well as species of Luffa and Momordica. Important diseases.
- Four viruses infect zucchini and others in the cucumber family, causing misshapen fruit and leaves.
- All are spread by aphids (green flies). After a short feed the aphids can infect healthy plants.
- Cultural control: avoid over-lapping crops, check each seedling; weed around nursery and plants in field; plastic mulches (clear and silver) delay infection; resistant varieties.
- Chemical control: none recommended because aphids spread virus quickly before insecticides kill them. But try soap, white or horticultural oils (see Fact Sheet no. 056).
No responses yet...